The attraction of St Matthew's lies in its glass, not the stained glass associated with the windows of ancient churches, but the moulded white glass, or verre blanc moulé-pressée, formulated by Lalique and used by him to make much of the furniture of the church normally associated with wood and stone. Both these materials are present but only to complement the glass.
Take in the the font, windows, screens, communion tables and cross that all part of Lalique's craft, many of which are illuminated at times; all examples of his interest in the electrical enhancement of his work. The Lady Chapel, ceiling and lights plus The Vestibule also feature René Lalique's work.
Lalique began the work in 1932, commissioned by Florence Boot, Lady Trent, the widow of Jesse Boot, Baron Trent, the founder of Boot's the Chemist. Lady Trent's principal residence was Villa Millbrook, but also had a residence in the South of France situated next door to that of René Lalique. Lady Trent encouraged her friend and artist/craftsman neighbour to design and create new fixtures and fittings for the interior of St Matthew's as a dedication to her late husband. The magnificent works were completed in 1934.
Jersey architect A B Grayson, best known for his ArtDeco style houses, designed the oak pews, the pulpit and lecturn.
Wenn Sie die Kirche besuchen möchten, beachten Sie bitte die Hinweise zu den Öffnungszeiten weiter unten.
Bus routes 8 (no Sunday service), 9, 12 (no Sunday service), 12a (no Sunday service) & 15
Statut de saisonnier:
Open all year. This is a functioning church, please respect service times and worshippers.